Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Catching Fire

My favorite co-worker and I went out for lunch today, stopping at the bookstore on the way to pick up a copy each of Catching Fire. Then we sat at Panera for much longer than our company-sanctioned thirty-minute paid lunch, reading away. We've been planning this for over a months; yesterday I told her I was going to wear a tunic and a bow and arrow for Catching Fire release day. She didn't believe me, rightfully so.

I don't even own a bow and arrow.

I enjoyed The Hunger Games, the first book in the triology, a whole lot. There were some issues with it, but overall I found it to be very strong, extremely readable, and deliciously addicting. And it started me on this crazy Young Adult/Teen reading path I find myself on of late.

Anyway, back to Catching Fire. When I first read the synopsis (which is as far as I went, not wanting to be spoiled at all), I wasn't really into it. Oh, a revolution. Yawn. What I wanted to see was the psychological aftermath of the Games, the psychological ramifications of being forced, year after year after year, to send children to their likely death.

It turns out I underestimated Ms. Collins.

Catching Fire is so far (five chapters in) everything I hoped for and more. Collins doesn't shy away from the difficult thoughts and issues. This is so refreshing, considering that a lot of popular young adult literature right now seems desperate to stay away from hard and definitive decisions. (I've harped enough, so I won't call it out by name.)

WOOO! Off to read more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment