Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Reading in 2009

I've read 52 books to date, which puts me well below my goal of 75 for 2009.

C'est la vie.

But, as I was updating my book log, I was looking at my grade for The Lost Symbol, and it got me thinking about that stupid book all over again. (With the effort I have put into thinking about and talking about this book, I probably could have easily read the 13 books I need to meet my goal.)

I graded it a D. You may think this is an unfair grade, but as you'll recall, the book put me in a coma. I actually think it may be against the law to rate a book that put you in a coma higher than a D. But I'm not sure; I haven't read the healthcare reform bill yet.

Wocka, wocka, wocka.

Anyway. (Spoilers, ahoy!) The reason I started thinking about it was how awesome would it have been if Dan Brown had actually killed Robert Langdon when you thought he killed Robert Langdon? That would have been an upgrade to a solid C+. When I read that scene, I said out loud, "YESSS!"

But I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks it would have been balls-out wild for Dan Brown to have killed Robert Langdon. Because dude's a freaking professor, okay? And not an Indiana Jones kind of professor, either. He's a professor who drinks cat-poop coffee. (I assume.) He is not schooled in beating the crap out of bad guys, like Dr. Jones. (You know that Robert Langdon would accidentally whip himself if he had a whip, and then blame it on his crippling claustrophobia.) He could maybe race a bad guy in the Harvard swimming pool, but that's about it.

What I'm saying is that Robert Langdon cannot defend himself. At all. And yet he survives intrigue after intrigue, bad guy after bad guy. So it follows that eventually the guy's luck is going to run out.

I can only hope I'm there to see it when it happens.

Mua ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment